Tuesday, July 12, 2011

'45s I Listened To Yesterday

As mentioned in a previous statii post on my Facebook, I spent the better part of my day yesterday in my basement playing some '45s from my collection, my mom's collection and my dad's collection. Not only that, but I did a mean Wolfman Jack impersonation in the process. And I was acting like I was a radio DJ from the 1970s. That last sentence kind of makes me laugh personally, because I am actually a legit radio DJ for Cardinal Radio at Saginaw Valley State University.

(Plug?)

So, I thought I would share the fun I had yesterday, and reveal what '45s I actually played. And then maybe you can be your own personal DJ.

  • Wooly Bully- Sam The Sham and The Pharaohs- This is just awesome '45 to own. I got it for 45 cents at the Goodwill in Saginaw. In possibly the greatest, most epic and just borderline sexual record buying excursion I have ever been on.
  • Dion- Runaround Sue- Look, if you are selling this at a garage sale for 5 cents, I am buying it.
  • Jr. Walker & The All Stars- Money (That's What I Want)- This '45 was apart of the Wooly Bully excursion, in which I purchased about 20 or so '45s of Motown and Soul records for under 12 dollars.
  • Earth, Wind, & Fire- Sing A Song- As I told my mother in a Wolfman Jack voice (and in a Ben Wallace afro), "The essentials... Earth, Wind, & Fire".
  • The Temptations- (I Know) I'm Losing You- This is up there as one of my favorite Temp songs. I always acted like I am Otis and do a Temptations dance when I listen to this song.
  • Stevie Wonder- Uptight (Everything's Alright)- My mom wanted some young Stevie so I threw this on.
  • Stevie Wonder- Superstition- My mom wanted some older Stevie so I threw this on.
  • Marvin Gaye- Too Busy Thinking About My Baby- Everyone who collects records should at least have one Marvin Gaye '45. If not, then you really have a shitty record collection.
  • Aretha Franklin- Chain Of Fools- The single greatest female vocalist of all-time. Period.
  • Aretha Franklin- Think- Just to prove that previous point, I listened to another Aretha record.
  • Martha & The Vandellas- Wild One- This group is kind of lost in the big picture of original Motown groups. The are phenominal. And they provide a great soundtrack for Summer.
  • Jackie Wilson- (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher- Mr. Excitement. I ran upstairs shouting at my mom, "What movie! What movie!" She said Ghostbusters. I was baffled that she got it wrong. It was Ghostbusters II, when they put the ooze in the toaster and it starts dancing to this song on the pool table. Classic scene.
  • The Miracles- Ooo Baby Baby- To be honest, I did not even know I had this '45. But, when I saw it, I had to a double taske, and when I realized it was not a dream, I exclaimed a giant, "Yessssssssssssssssssss!"And then I played it of course.
  • The Supremes- Stop! In The Name Of Love- I swear, there is just something religious about staring at a Motown '45, and seing the map of Michigan on the upper part of the record and seeing the red star for Detroit right above the red, yellow, and blue Motown.
  • Wilson Pickett- In The Midnight Hour- This might be my favorite '45 to just sit down and listen to. It is such a perfect sounding song.
  • The Impressoions- I Love You (Yeah)- Curtis Mayfield is one bad mama-jamma. It is ridiculous how good he was. If Rod Allen was writing this, he would have said that Curtis Mayfield was "filthy".
  • The Righteous Brothers- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'- Little did my dad know that I would be listening to the same '45s he purchased 40 some odd years ago. Thats the beauty of timeless music.
  • Barry McGuire- Eve Of Destruction- Okay, based of this song and the next, please try convincing me that my dad was not an anti-war (potenitally hippie)...
  • The Bob Seger System- 2+2=?- I mean come on, he had to of been. For Christmas sake, he road-tripped to Cleveland in 1977 with some friends for Pink Floyd's: Animals tour.
  • Bachman Turner Overdrive- Let It Ride- Just a good old fashioned 1970s, hop in your Grand AM, drive for miles, Americana rock/pop song.
  • The Doobie Brothers- Black Water- Yeah, my dad was a hippie.
  • Black Sabbath- Iron Man- Yeah, I am happy was a hippie, because now I have all his good music to listen to.
  • Bob Seger and The Last Heard- Heavy Music- This '45 is 44 years old, and it is still in its original Cameo Parkway sleeve.
  • Bobby Pickett- Monster Mash- This is actually pressed on see transparent orange vinyl. Swag.
  • The Kinks- Lola- If you read the lyrics to this song, you will laugh. It is about a guy hooking up with a guy in drag.
  • Norman Greenbaum- Spirit In The Sky- You are damn straight I own this '45.
  • Spiderman Theme- He does everything that a spider can. Yes, I seriously do own the original Spiderman theme on vinyl.
  • Billy Joel- The Longest Time- I am envious of Billy Joel on so many levels. I want to be said Piano Man.
  • The Box Tops- The Letter- One of my favorite songs. It is short, simple, and amazing. I always flap my arms like Gavin in Pirate Radio whenever I play this '45.
  • Nitty Gritty Dirt Band- Mr. Bojangles- I remember falling in love with this song as a kid, and always feeling sad at the part of the song when he said, "the dog up and died". I still feel sad when I hear that line.
  • Dusty Springfield- Stay Awhile- Her voice is like unicorns dancing in your ears.
  • Iron Butterfly- IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA- ... Such a hippie.
  • Procol Harum- A Whiter Shade of Pale- This song makes me love my dad unconditionally. He obviously did not know in 1960-something that he was going to have a son who was going to like the same music he did. But he still bought this '45 and he held on to it for all those years. Now, everytime I am bored, I can come downstairs, pick up this '45 and listen to my favorite song all of time. Over and over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment