Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 13. Song that inspires you

Now, instead of posting these on my facebook, I actually think I am going to post them on here. And tell you a little bit about each song and why I picked that said song. And I think starting it on this day is perfect, because it is about a song that inspires me.

Obviously, Beatles songs pop into my mind first, as I grew up on them because of my dad. But I like to go with a pick that people may not expect. But before I reveal that pick, let me build the suspense for awhile.

What I look for in an inspiring song is very very simple. I search for substance, for a story, for poetry, for emotion, for musicality and for complete and utter simplistic beauty.

That is why my whenever I feel the need to get inspired I listen to a song that fits all of those criteria and maybe 1000 more that I can not think of.

That song is Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits.

Let's talk shop now. This song is absolute beauty and perfection. Like first crush and high school beauty and perfection.

The song is about that one love story written by that one Bill guy. And ever since then, that concept of boy loves girl but they can never be together has been the used as the plot line in every romantic comedy every which way a thousand times ever.

But this song is more than that. So much more than that.

The first time I heard this song was in the movie Empire Records. I actually had to pause the credits to see what the name of the song and band was. I saw Dire Straits and I knew that name sound familiar. And I remembered that my dad had a Dire Straits greatest hits CD. So I looked at the track listings on the CD and saw that Romeo and Juliet was on there and the rest was history.

But I really find this song inspiring, because when I write it is hard to be original. And when I am in a rut I listen to this song and realize originality can come from the most un-original places. And that makes writing ten times easier.

Also this song  has one of the best lyrics ever:

When you can fall for chains of silver, 
You can fall for chains of gold,
You can fall for pretty strangers 
And the promises they hold.
You promised me everything, you promised me thick and thin, yeah!
Now you just say, "Oh Romeo? Yeah, you know I used to have a scene with him".



Absolute beauty.


Here are three links to this song. In my order of favorite versions. First there a Marl Knopfler (lead singer of Dire Straits) solo version with a string quartet intro. And it is absolutely lovely. And emotional. Second, is the original. And third, is a cover the Killers did of the song. It is quite possibly the best cover I have ever heard.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7GJgncybV8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxfjSnMN88U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McnTmRqNzBs

Inspiration at its finest.

No comments:

Post a Comment