Saturday, April 2, 2011

My Favorite Songs At The Moment

Someone recently asked what kind of music I am into, and I said just about everything. Then they asked what my top ten favorite songs were. Now, that was just cruel and unusual punishment to put my mind through. To be honest I have like a top three of all-time favorite songs. (Whiter Shade of Pale, God Only Knows, Day In the Life) and Waterloo Sunset by the Kinks and the Night They Drove Ole Dixie Down by the Band are cementing there way into the four and five slots. And come to think of it Father and Son by Cat Stevens. Besides those six, the other four songs usually change.

I more or less concentrate on my top ten at the moment per say when people ask me. Because to try to scour my mind and what is now becoming a black abyss of music in my iTunes library, it is literally impossible. But to tell you ten albums or songs that have been in heavy rotation lately that is another thing. A much less tedious thing.

So for those curious these are ten songs and or albums that have been accompanied by my headphones and attentive mind recently... Actually let's make it fifteen:

(In no particular order)

  • Wasting Light- Foo Fighters~ As I have said before this album makes Jesus want to take his own name in vain.
  • Kodachrome- Paul Simon~ Such a catchy/contagious up-beat stay in your mind for two weeks song.
  • Tragic Kingdom- No Doubt~ I fell in love with the band (and Gwen Stefani) all over when I played this last week. Every song on this album is great.
  • Apache Dropout- Apache Dropout~ By far one of the best Lo-Fi/Garage-ish album I have potentially ever heard.
  • Wild Night- Van Morisson~ A day without Van is like a day without going to the bathroom, it is just painful.
  • Menagerie- Nous Non Plus~ Everything is French and awesome. This is classified under "Perks of being a music director for a radio station."
  • Go All The Way- The Raspberries~ Willing to argue this as one of the best singles of ever. A little dramatic sure, but at the same time a little true.
  • Kick Out The Jams- The Motor City Five (MC5)~ Just sexual. Plain and simple. Top to bottom an immortal record.
  • T.S.O.P. (The Sound of Philadelphia)- MFSB ft. The Three Degrees~ This was the Soul Train theme. And I have been obsessed with everything Soul Train and Don Cornelius lately.
  • Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere- Neil Young with Crazy Horse~ I am going to make the outrageous claim that I would take this over Harvest any day.
  • Vices & Virtues- Panic! At The Disco~ Extremely impressed with this album. And I simply adore the song Always. That song is the kind of song people get married to.
  • The Wind- Warren Zevon~ For all intensive purposes the saddest album I have ever heard. And Keep Me In Your Heart is the most emotional song I have ever, and once you learn of Warren Zevon's circumstances you will listen to that song and just cry.
  • Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society- The Kinks~ The most underrated album/band ever. Please go out of your way to listen to this album.
  • St. Elsewhere- Gnarls Barkley~ I love how everyone has forgotten this existed. This had Cee Lo before he was all popular. Like, this is a really, really, really good album.
  • 2+2=?- Bob Seger System~ On the short-list of truly great Anti-War songs. And truly great songs period.
And as for my favorite musical video at the moment:
  • Huey Lewis and the News- Do You Believe In Love~ Classic '80s vid. Six dudes harmonizing in a bed while a woman sleeps, and a saxophone pushing a guitarist out of the way for a sax solo. As Don King would say, "Only in America."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzIbyDbmsyg

So there you go, hopefully I have turned you onto some groovy stuff. Or reminded you of some greatness that you may have forgotten about.

1 comment:

  1. Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere- Neil Young with Crazy Horse~ I am going to make the outrageous claim that I would take this over Harvest any day.


    yesyesyesyesyes.

    ReplyDelete