Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory Complex

Philosophy is easy. Philosophy is so easy that GEICO is could make a commercial about how a caveman could do it. The only problem is philosophy is annoying. It is really, really annoying.

 Philosophy is like NASCAR it just goes in circles over and over again, but sometimes there is a crash (or intellectual breakthrough in terms of philosophical tifting) and it gets really exciting for awhile. But then a caution flag comes out (or stupid people talking stupid) and then it is back to the talking in circles.

As I have mentioned before in a previous blog post (What Is Philosophy).... Oh, god I just plugged my own blog in my blog. I feel dirt or I might have glitched the Matrix. Either way, I mentioned before the day-to-day skeleton  of my class. But that was so last month.

We are much more intellectual now, instead of talking about being like bats or pigs, we are getting into the what I like to call The "G" Phase. A.k.a.: The God Phase.

And I have to say, I am kind of disappointed. The intellectual jabber-jawing has been par at best. And the one person who could really be the L.V.P.......Y.S.V.E.P (Least Valuable Philosopher...... Yet Still Very Entertaining Person) has not talked at all the past few classes. She has just fiddled about on her Mac Book.

She could be the key to Pandora's box of discussion. But she does not talk. Such a bummer. All I am left with is "Cup of Joe" to talk for extended amounts of time, just so he can hear his voice and feel smart. And then inevitably contradict himself.

For example we talked about war. And if it was just. The short answer to that question is, NO. His answer was this 15 minute incoherent idea orgy, to which he claimed was the only just war in the history of ever. Then my professor called him on that statement. My professor said, "So you think the first crusade was just for BOTH sides?" Cup of Joe then said, "Well, no. So I believe there is not such thing as just war." He got served.

Since then though he has not stopped, he is still his same old self.


Sometimes I participate in class. I say a witty thing or two, and lighten the mood. I have to so, because if I did not I would be forced to challenge Cup of Joe to a duel. Thankfully, my friend Will in the class and sits next to me and pretty much says what I am thinking. If it was not for him, fisticuffs would be a flying.


And boy did the fisticuffs almost come a flying yesterday.


We were discussing a passage called Why Does God Let People Suffer? And our discussion centralized on the authors ideas of what it would take to make a perfect universe. And from the full pot of anger that was brewing in my body while class discussion was going on, I established my first philosophical thesis if you will. Entitled: The Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory Complex.


Now this is pretty much the idea that each person has their own idea of a perfect universe. Why did I call it The Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory Complex? Well, because a diabetic would obviously not describe Willy Wonka's Factory as their perfect universe. A seven-year-old however would potentially.


Therefore I established that there is no such thing as a perfect universe. This co-insides with my second Philosophical idea. The Tomato/Tomatoe. Meaning perfect to one person is not perfect to another. Which in my mind is completely true.


So even even though it is a grammatical "boo-boo" the forefathers got it right with the Constitution by wanting to establish a "more perfect union" because, well there is no such thing as truly "perfect. A 4.0 GPA is not a perfect GPA because you do not necessarily need all 100 percents in order to have a 4.0. And in baseball a "Perfect Game" is not really a perfect game, because a pitcher may through not through a strike, therefore in real nit-picky sense he was not perfect.


I hope all of this makes sense. Because I am ready to pack everything up and travel the world as a roaming philosophy gypsy. But that all just depends if college classes can have hour long not discussions on my work. That would be my real muse for continuing this field of work. I just do not how it would turn out though.


Because after all, I am not perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment