Sunday, June 5, 2011

I Love Panic(!) At The Disco... You Got A Problem With That?

In every person's life, whether they recognize it or not, there is a band or song that they associate with a certain point in their life.

For me that band is Panic! At The Disco. Yes, you heard that err read that right. (Trying that real fast five times... the read that right part. Impossible.)

When I look back on possibly three of my favorite periods of being alive, P!ATD (abbrevation) was there.

They were there for me in 7th going into 8th grade with A Fever You Can't Sweat Out, specifically the song Camisado.

They were there for me Sophomore year of High School and that Summer with Pretty.Odd., and their song Northern Downpour.

And they were there for me this year with Vices & Virtues, more specifically with the song Always.

You may be reading this in outrage, shouting, "WHAT ABOUT THE BEATLES!!! IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS!!!... AND EXTRA EXCLAMATION POINTS, IN ORDER TO ASSERT THE CORRECT ANGRY/POSSIBLY URGENT TONE OF WHICH I AM TYPING AND OR SPEAKING, BUT MORE SO JUST TYPING.... AND WELL, THINKING. CAUSE I HAVE TO THINK TO TYPE!!! SEE I DID IT AGAIN.... BEATLES."

To which I say... Of course the Beatles have always been there. They will always be there. But sometimes you have to spread you musical wings and fly to different trees (bands) and nests (genres) and get accustomed to new things.

But when I really look at the impact of P!ATD on my life, I really have to look at their album Pretty.Odd.

I am not lying or exaggeratig when I say that it really changed my life.

I remember actually going out and buying the CD (I know!) and to be honest I have not bought a CD since then, and that was a good three years ago (I know!). I love that album so much, that I actually own it on vinyl as well. You know, the big black circle thingy-thing that you play on a record player.

I heard the first fews songs and I was hooked, tallywhacked, goobly-gooked and completely mesmerized. It was completely different then their first album. And dare I say, it actually sounded like the Beatles.

(Gasp.)

But most importantly, Pretty.Odd. introduced to some amazing people. But one person in particular was the most amazing out of all of them, and her name is Hayley. We bonded over Panic, and became really good friends. And if you told to list of five friends of mine in last five years that have had the biggest impact on you, she would be number 1, 2, and 3.

I know you can not shake an album's hand, because it is not human. But, if Pretty.Odd ever adapted human features and limbs, I would have to shake its hand. Ney, I would have to give it a giant bear a hug and invite to ice skating with me. Just for the fact that it gave me an icebreaker to actually talk to her.

In fact, I actually saw them live for the first time last night with her and her friend Melissa.

It was quite possibly the best/funnest concert I have ever been to. It was muggy, I probably lost 15 pounds sweating, somebodys elbow was in my sternum for a good 45 minutes, I was claustrophobic and I am pretty sure my ear drum my ruptured.

And it was one the best nights I have had in awhile.

It was the kind of night that you did not want to end, but it had to. And you knew that fact, yet you tried all that could to not make it 11:30. You know, one of those nights.

And when they played The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage, I felt 13 again.

And it felt good.

And really, isn't that what music is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment