Monday, June 13, 2011

The Old Couple In Church

I approach writing in a very unorthodox way (sort of). While some people just write to write, I choose to write with emotion. This can cause some problems, because sometimes it is hard to write with emotion every single time. This is why I take breaks from writing. Long extended breaks. And I wait for something to not necessarily inspire me, but just kind of make my imagination smile. 

I usually tell people that I do not write, I think. Meaning, half of the stuff I "write" down, I do not write down. I more or less just store it in the noggin. I organize it in my head and then from the head it goes through my fingertips and onto the computer or note-pad.

This poem is a perfect example of that. I have had the first line in my head for about two weeks, and I kept on trying to think of the rest. Then I was forcing it too much. Then I stopped thinking about it all together. Then it all came to me when I saw them in church today.

I swear to God, the best things to write, are the things that write themselves.

The Old Couple In Church

Fifty-five years married
But still as innocent 
As high school sweethearts

You can see their love
In the little things

The way he finds
The hymn for her
In the Missalette
Because her vision
Is not as good as
It used to be

The way she leans in
To tell him what the
Lector just said 
Because his hearing
Is not as good as
It used to be

The way he squeezes
Her hand at the end 
Of the Our Father

The way she hugs
Him when they offer
A sign of peace

The way he slips in
A kiss on the check
When no one is looking

As I sit in the pew behind you
Seeing how in love 
You two still are
All I can do is crack a smile
And think to myself:

"...Fifty-five years married
And still as innocent
As high school sweethearts..."

No comments:

Post a Comment